The skincare market is overwhelming. To make my point I just counted up the number of products I currently have on rotation RN; 12 is the lucky number. I do sometimes step back and have moment when I think that this is all really really excessive and not right. Then I remind myself I have am providing a service on my blog to the good people of the UK and rest of world. I AM YOUR GUINEA PIG PEOPLE; a well cleansed, exfoliated, and moisturized guinea pig! Apologies for that little wobble of self doubt there. On we go…
However, excessive consumption and the “product for every problem” mentality does tend to leave many confused and wrongly informed when it comes to building a solid and effective skincare routine.
A turn back to simpler times would be welcomed which is why I thought it was the perfect moment to introduce you to a brand I discovered on holiday in Croatia last summer, nestled in a little island boutique of Obonjan. Simpler times indeed.
Skin & Tonic is a London based beauty brand pioneering an ethical, organic and sustainable approach to skincare, as well as simple. This handmade product line is stripped back and contains only ingredients that are actually going to benefit or serve purpose.
The plants oils are all organic and the ingredients in the formulations are nutrient rich and full of omegas and antioxidants to help maintain cell turnover and the fight free radicals of pollution aswell as being anti inflammatory and antibacterial. Quite a feat when many of their products only contain 3 -4 ingredients!
The products are also multipurpose and unisex in order to save space in the bathroom cabinet! There’s an amazing Gentle Scrub which doubles up as a soothing and hydrating mask. The Calm Balm can be used for massage and cleansing. A real mood lifter!
I was sent a selection of products to test out and it has been a really lovely and uplifting experiencing, kind of like a detox for the skin AND soul! The amount of crap I put on my face when I’m testing products for the blog is unreal and as of late my conscious has been weighing in on this a little more. Perhaps this is the start of a more consciously kind approach to my beauty repertoire. Food for thought.
S&T’s mask/scrubs really caught my attention. We are multi-masking mental right now so how about a product that not only hydrates but once it’s set turns into a gentle exfoliation scrub. Just add a little water and they turn into paste for the face. I particularly love Coco Mask that detoxifies and moisturises dry and dehydrated skin. Made with creamy Coconut Milk Powder (rich in lauric acid and vitamins B, C & E), cooling Aloe Vera and Kaolin Clay. Plump and dewy skin for me 🙂
After browsing more on the website I’d like to give Steam Clean a go; cleansing balm is made with Thistle, aromatic Eucalyptus and refreshing Spearmint oils to lift dirt and rejuvenate dull, tired skin. That literally sounds like a spa-in-a-jar.
Even more reasons to love Skin & Tonic
- They support, wherever possible, small and local British & French producers/ farmers.
- Source from Fair Trade women’s co-operatives in Ghana & Sri Lanka.
- Use ingredients that are certified organic by The Soil Association and they hope to be given certification in our own right very soon.
- Products are made by hand and as they expand they plan to get people who are out of work in the community back into employment by giving them the opportunity to join their skincare revolution.
- 100% cruelty free.
- S&T strive to be as carbon neutral a company as possible and have already started planting trees in the Suffolk countryside to offset their carbon footprint.
- 100% recyclable glass containers for their products and will soon be providing refills to save on packaging.
- They have partnered with www.charitywater.com and donate 10% of profits to them, providing essential, clean water and sanitation.